Friday, June 7, 2013

A day with my almost 3.5 year old

I've been wanting to do a post like this for a very long time. Today we didn't have any plans so when Makena asked what we were doing today, I said taking photos of everything we do. This is a fairly normal day when we are at home. She seemed more emotional than usual today, but it was hot and I was tired and not giving her as much energy as she's used to.

6:30 am 
We wake up. Lay in bed cuddling and trying to sleep more. Makena starts to get restless and asks me to get up with her. I say not right now, and tell her to check if Mama is awake. I hear Pam in the shower and Makena doesn't want to get out of bed without me. I tell her to help rub my feet to wake them up. My foot massage plan doesn't work. I tell her to go potty and surprise Mama in the bathroom. I keep trying to roll over and fall asleep. She gets up and I close my eyes. Pam comes in to get dressed, Makena asks me to get up again. Pam can't find her glasses and is going to be late for work.


7:30 
I get out of bed and within 2 seconds find Pam's glasses on the couch. 

7:40 
Pam leaves for work. She shuts the door before noticing that Makena blew her a kiss. Makena cries and is sad. 

8:00 
I make a lazy breakfast for Makena, she asks for frozen corn and bread with butter. I give her some strawberries too.


 
8:30 
I get cinnamon toast for myself and make tea. Put the TV on, Makena asks for Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

9:00 
We play a game, pop up three little pigs. Then we do a couple puzzles.




9:15
We play with our Tegu magnetic blocks. She makes a playground. 

9:20
I get on the couch and open the computer. E-mails, Facebook.

9:30
Makena's playing with her doll house and the playground she made.
 
9:45 
She asks me if I want to have a picnic. I say maybe later when the sun comes up. She means a pretend picnic. Somehow it turns into a superhero delivering me food.



 10:00
She's running around playing while I try to get our printer set up. I can't figure it out. Send a text to Pam asking for help.


10:10 
She's climbing all over me on the couch.

10:15 
She's playing pretend with her cat stuffed animal then the cat is hurt and she's a veterinarian. She calls this stuffed animal Donte, (after our cat who passed away almost a year ago) and tells me "See, Donte didn't die, we can just pretend he's still here!" Then she's playing doctor with me. I tell her my feet hurt and she should rub them. She doesn't fall for it.

10:20 
She asks for a snack. I give her a banana. She wants to peel it. Then she noticed that I put a letter of hers in the recycling bin. She takes it out and drops it in the middle of the living room floor.

10:30 
I'm still trying to get printer to work. Makena picks up the Nintendo DS and tries to play the Yoshi's Island game but can't, so she puts in the Elmo game in and plays for a bit.

10:40 
I say it's time to pick up the living room floor. We put toys away. She goes potty. I encourage her to wipe herself but she asks for my help.

10:50 
She takes out her crayons and a piece of paper from the printer (that I gave up on) and starts coloring. I check the laundry room to see if the one washing machine is free. No luck. I tried 4 times yesterday with no luck.

11:00 
I put the Pandora music station on and we sing and dance while still coloring. 



11:15 
I ask if she wants to do a craft. She picks a paper mache globe craft. It's a sticky messy project.

11:45 
She gets upset that we are done with the craft but it has to dry. I put it outside in the sun. She wants a juice popsicle and strawberries. I put on Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and lay down on the couch with my phone. Words With Friends game, more Facebooking, texting.

12:15 
I start boiling water for mac and cheese.

12:20 
I check the laundry room again.
 
12:35 
Makena is crying because I poured the pasta into pot and apparently she wanted to. I put on another episode of Daniel Tiger. We eat lunch in front of the TV. I'm on the computer. We're talking constantly. Even with the TV on Makena has never been a zombie, but that's probably because I continue to engage with her as we watch together. But right now I want to zone out. 




12:45 
She asks for more food.

12:50 
Washing machine is finally open! I put a load in then start doing the dishes. Makena calls for me to help her on the toilet. I return to dishes. She turns the TV off and plays with Pam's guitar singing Baby Beluga. And then Under the Sea. My mom stopped by a bit ago to leave us a doughnut, and Makena asks for her doughnut. 

1:25 
The dishes are done. I do another load of laundry.
 
1:40 
I sit down to answer and send some messages. She asks for cereal. I sit back down and she asks for water. I sit down again and she asks for more carrots and hummus.

1:48 
I sit down. Get on the computer. Makena's snacking. Then she's playing with her Build-a-Bear. Drops all the clothes out of the box. Then she's climbing on the recliner I'm sitting in. As I type this, she randomly cuddles me and says "Mommy, I love you."

1:55 
She's still climbing all over me, playing pirate. Hiding behind the recliner asking me to find her. I suggest she pick up her bear clothes or put away the guitar. She wants to go swimming and won't stop asking when we can go. I tell her when the laundry is done.

2:00  
I'm getting frustrated. I want two minutes of silence. I go check on the laundry. Come back and she's asking if we can go swimming now. No, still drying another load. She's upset. I have a headache. I put on Zaboomafoo and drink more water. I close my eyes for a few minutes as we cuddle on the couch.

2:15 
I switch the last load into the dryer.

2:20 
She's still asking to go in the pool. Now she's asking for the other half of her doughnut. I want to sit here and do nothing. Why won't she just sit and watch this show?! It's an episode about snow so we talk about going to the snow again some day.

2:30 
I turn the TV off, we read some books.

2:55 
She wants me to play with the magnetic dress up princess dolls. We're pretending it's Sleeping Beauty's birthday. 

3:00 
The laundry is done.

3:15 
The folding done, bathing suits on. Potty break. I put her suit back on.

3:20 
In the pool!



4:10 
Back home. She's crying about the lame "no squirting" rule the manager told us about.


4:15 
In our dry clothes, she asks for a snack. I give her almonds and the rest of the banana. I sit to go online and she asks for more water. I sit down and she needs me to help with potty.

4:25 
I sit down, tired and frustrated. She asks for the rest of her doughnut. I say no, finish your healthy snack. She is upset. Doesn't want this banana, wants a different one. I tell her she only gets one banana unless she finishes the whole thing and wants another. She wants the rest of her doughnut instead. She wants strawberries. I get up, give strawberries to her. 

4:30
Sit down. She wants the strawberries cut. Wants me to watch the Daniel Tiger episode about the mom getting angry. We talk about how I was feeling frustrated and tired and how she's big enough to get things for herself or wait a bit until I am done.

4:33 
She asks more strawberries. I ask if she can wait a few minutes. She starts to cry. I'm trying so hard to help her learn delayed gratification!! It's not going well. 

4:40 
She wants to turn off Daniel Tiger. We pop the balloon from our craft earlier. She likes her Earth globe. Doesn't like that the balloon popped. She tries to put a flashlight inside the globe and rips a bit of it.




4:50 
We read books.

4:55 
Snuggles on the recliner.

5:00 
We pick up toys because Mama is coming home soon.

5:05 
We play a game.




5:25 
We're done with the game. She's sad she can't get the frogs to hop in. I should be thinking about or prepping dinner. Sitting and playing on my phone instead.

5:30 she says she needs me. I tell her to grab some books.




5:40
We sing songs and be silly. Pam should be home any minute.

5:50
I finally get an idea and start dinner. Rice, broccoli, and tofu.

6:00 
Pam is home!
 
6:25 
I sit down while dinner cooks. Normally we eat at 6. Oops! Pam and Makena are playing a game.

6:30 
I console a crying Makena. She's mad that Pam was helping her count her points.

6:35 
We put Daniel Tiger on.

6:50 
Dinner is ready, TV off.

7:15
Makena takes a bath with Mama.




7:30 
Done with bath. Put on pjs, read a book. She picks The Napping House and asks, "What's napping?" LOL! Coming from Makena it's no wonder she doesn't know what napping is! Pam helps her brush her teeth. 




7:50 
We all lay in bed. Makena is chatty. Talking about the new baby, wondering why November is so far away, crying a bit. Yawning a lot.
8:00 She says she needs to get up and go potty. She goes by herself! Back in bed and more chatting.

8:05 
Tell her it's time to be quiet. She switches between cuddling both of us in bed. I remind her that if she can't fall asleep then Mama can rock her in the chair.
 
8:15 
She falls asleep!


No comments:

Post a Comment