Friday, January 25, 2013

Makena's 3rd Birthday Snow Party!

Last year, within a few days of Makena's 2nd Birthday Mickey Party, she said she wanted a snow party next year. I was like, what? A snow party? She'd never even been to the snow, but I LOVE snow so I was all for it!! I took that idea and ran with it. A week after Christmas I hit up Michael's and bought everything I needed in their 80% clearance sale. Birthdays in January are awesome with all the sales, so a winter themed party taking place after Christmas is a brilliant plan!

The invite was from etsy, I loved it!



As we rushed to unload the car we had Makena hold the balloons and stand guard. This is the only photo that Pam took the whole day, lol.




A few months ago I joined a page on facebook that was having a giveaway for a party package at the local JCC. I entered, and had my mom and Pam enter too. I think at the time of the drawing there were less than 8 entrants, lol. Our chances were pretty good, and Pam won! YAY! An awesome free spot to hold Makena's party!

We chose the gym package (as opposed to the pool or playground package) since I had a theme and party games and such that I planned on. The banner I made came out so cute, this photo doesn't do it justice. I want a better camera for next year. I say it each year and I think it's time I have a real camera and not just my phone for photos!


My mom made these adorable penguins from olives, carrots, and goat cheese!


And Andrea made this unbelievable cake!! The detail was really amazing, the name letters had tiny snowflake sprinkles on them, and there was bigger granulated sugar all over it so it shimmered like real snow! And she made snowball cake pops, too! Makena requested an igloo cake with penguins, so we looked at a few photos online for ideas and I asked if Andrea was up for the challenge  Luckily for us she accepted! It was such a hit, everyone was in awe!! As I bought the #3 candle I paused for a second because it seemed surreal that my baby was turning THREE.


I got these super cute custom cookies from Party Girl Cookies with a Groupon. She used a beehive to make the igloos. Genius! They had a citrus flavor to them and tasted amazing.




This was Makena's outfit. Ian and Colin's mom knew we were having a snow party and she texted me photos from Gymboree asking if this would work. We loved it, so she bought it for Makena as a birthday present. Later Pam and I were there and saw the silver sparkly matching boots and just had to buy them too! :)



Cousins busy at the sno-cone machine! 



How cute are these labels I made?? They said 100% Pure Melted Snow. :) I'm usually anti-plastic water bottles, so I had actually made a sign to hang on the huge water jug but we had these mini bottles leftover from something so I wanted to used them up. They also doubled as balloon weights!



Pin the Penguin on the Igloo!


I couldn't believe I found this perfect mask for like 20 cents!!


 The kids enjoyed throwing snowballs at the big kids as they played.




My mom brought these snowflake balloons.



Apple-raspberry juice sno-cones!


Playing transfer the snowball to the bucket without dropping it-



"NO! Don't take them OUT!"


"Hey, stop taking them OUT!" Lol, I love my little rule follower!



Makena has so much fun with her friends, even friends she rarely sees. She was so excited to see her friends arrive. I think the only bad part of her party was that her two best buddies couldn't make it since they were out of town. It was very sad when I realized the dates they'd be gone fell over her party weekend, and they were crushed too. When I told Makena they couldn't come she was confused so I had to explain that of course they were invited, and they WANT to come, but they would be out of town and unable to make it. She made sure that we saved them a goody bag. :)


I didn't get a photo of her blowing out the candles, or a video of us singing happy birthday to her. I thought I did but I guess I didn't press the button. :(


My mom also brought this huge snowball pinata that she hid a gift inside and let the kids play with. Then she told Makena there was a present in it and she opened it with some help from the big kids.


It was a Merida dress!






I'm totally bummed out that I forgot to bring out the parachute. We were going to play with it and bounce all the soft glittery snowballs. Makena specifically asked for us to play with it as we were planning her party but then we had such a time crunch (it was a 2 hour time slot) that I forgot completely. She still had a blast and didn't mention it again, phew!


I had this brilliant idea (okay, I got the idea from pinterest, but in the original it was just a family) to have each party guest put their thumb print on a plate. I'm going to take it to the pottery place and turn each thumb print into a penguin! I can't wait to see how it turns out!! And that's a pile of the snowballs that we played with at the party. I got 6 bags of them for about a quarter each. It was so great to score such awesome deals! I'll update this with a photo of the plate when it's finished.


This is what the goody bags looked like, I loved them, and I loved the snow globes I found on sale! They were exactly what I was looking for, and I was ready to pay $3 each for them so getting them all for under $5 was amazing!! I cut blue sparkly paper and glued on a photo of each kid on one side.


On the other side I put this photo of Makena trying to catch snowflakes on her tongue. :)


Everyone loved the personalized snow globes, and I was so happy with how they came out! 

I got her this snow globe that reminded me of her. I thought it was perfect for her snow party. I have this idea that I can get a Sesame Street snow globe and a Mickey one, and then get one for each party she has over the years and display them on a pretty shelf.


When asked what kind of party she wants for her 4th birthday, Makena says, "A Disneyland party!" Sounds good to me! I'll see what I can do. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment