Sunday, November 4, 2012

A day in the life...

I've wanted to do these photo/detailed day in the life posts on a regular basis, every couple months or so. And I totally slacked on it. I'm bummed out, I think all the time that I'm forgetting what it was like with her at age 1.5 or 2. Even 2.5! Now she's closer to 3 and I just can't believe how fast time flies, and how much I can't remember. There are so many little things worth remembering, things that capture exactly how wonderful Makena is at that very moment, and I hate that they slip my mind before I get the chance to write them down.


Today I happened to have a bunch of photos and jotted out a few things to guide me as I wrote this, so here goes!

For Daylight Savings I thought for sure Makena would be up early, but she woke at her normal time and then stayed in bed cuddling and nursing and sleeping a bit. She did it the other day too, it's been lovely! We didn't get out of bed until 8:58 am, when normally she's up at 7!

Then she went out with Pam to run an errand and ride her bike at the park. I got a text from Pam with this photo, saying "First of all don't be jealous! But secondly, in this pic I think she looks just like you as a kid!"




When they got home Makena and I drove to San Jose. Changed her clothes because it was warmer out than we expected. We had a Groupon to redeem at Petroglyph, one of those paint your pottery studios. In the car on the way there we were talking about how she could pick something out to paint for a Christmas gift for Mama, and she asked to send one to Grandma Carol too. She said, "Oh, me have good idea Mommy! How about me paint something (some-sing) for Mama and her mama Grandma Carol, and YOU paint something for YOUR mommy- Grandmo!!" She's so thoughtful and cute, I love her mind! (I couldn't wait for her to start talking so we'd know what sort of funny things she says, and she is more awesome than I ever hoped!) Then she said "Mommy, me want you sing Harry Potter song with me." I had no idea what she was talking about, I didn't think she even knew who Harry Potter was, so I asked her to sing it for me. "Me and Mommy, going to paint harry potter for Mama and Grandma Carol!" I cracked up, I love that she mixed up pottery with Harry Potter, lol.

At the pottery place she picked out a butterfly box and a then little sugar bowl for Pam, with a tiny spoon that she loved. I showed her how to use a toothbrush to flick paint splatters and she had fun with that. She really concentrated and focused on decorating the items, I can't wait to see them after they've been glazed!





We walked across the street and got lunch at Aqui. Makena loves rice and beans, I tried to get her to try the kids potato and cheese enchilada but she refused. She also shared my hummus from the chips and dip sampler I ordered. Then she had fun shaking salt and pepper all over the chips. She loves pepper. She didn't want me to take a photo but I snapped one anyway, saying I wanted a picture of the food, not her. Oooh I'm sneaky.




We walked to the other end of Lincoln street to Hicklebee's bookstore, and on the way to get the stroller from the car Makena dashed in front of me along the nice wide sidewalk and I shouted at her to "Stop! Stop! STOP!" as she almost ran right through a blind driveway. I caught up to her, after only being a couple feet behind her, and talked to her about how she needs to stop when I yell that because it means there's danger and I need her to listen to me so she can be safe, etc. At the bookstore she found a little corner with a table that had dollhouse furniture and little mice dolls to play with.


She stayed there for probably 30 minutes while I browsed books. I occasionally checked on her and she was happily occupied. At one point she called my name and I was about halfway across the store and made my way over to her. The corner was within eye sight the whole time, but as I wandered displays and bookcases sometimes obscured her view if she came around the corner and didn't spot me immediately. But she didn't panic, and just called out "Mommy!" again. She wanted me to open the little bed that was starting to break, and I showed her that it wasn't supposed to open, that the piece was breaking off. We got some books and sat in a rocking chair and read.

After that we headed back to the car but stopped in Powell's Sweet Shoppe.


 I felt silly telling her we could pick out a candy when she has candy at home from Halloween, but she asked for ice cream. So we shared a delicious gelato. She normally picks mint chocolate chip, but they didn't have any, and so she said she wanted the birthday cake flavor with the bright colorful sprinkles... I try to make sure she gets a flavor I like, so that I can quickly eat it with her so she eats less. (What, that's not mean! I'm just limiting her junk food! She can eat all the broccoli she wants! Haha.) I tried to steer her in another direction (cookies and cream!) but then she wanted the neon blue bubblegum flavor. Gross. Finally I convinced her to get chocolate chip, which was actually the cookies and cream flavor but I called it chocolate chip and she wanted it. And I picked the chocolate caramel crunch flavor. Yum yum yum!!

We sat on bench outside enjoying it, and the "Candy Man" song from Willy Wonka came on. Makena asked me to dance with her, so she got up and started to dance right there on the sidewalk in front of the shop and I sat on the bench dancing my arms. People were walking by and smiling and saying how cute she was, and then she told me to dance with my whole body, not just arms. Lol. I stood up to dance and the song ended, we finished our treat and headed home.


On the ride home she wanted to know each street name. It's a new thing she's been asking while in the car. I told her we were on the highway, she said she wanted to be on the low way. Then a few minutes went by and she told me "Be quite, me talking on me phone." (I had been silent to begin with, lol.) I could see her in the rear view mirror with her toy phone, having a pretend conversation... "Hi Mama, me name Makena. Me coming home see you soon! Me have good day today, bye!" Then she said "Mommy, you need something?" I said no, and she said "O-tay. Me on phone. When me done me talk to you." I'm rarely on the phone because she makes it impossible for me to have a conversation, so I found it hilarious that she said that!! Then I heard her saying she wanted to take some photos with her phone. Now THAT is something she witnesses daily!

At home she played outside while Pam cleaned the yard, then she did a craft with me inside. She wanted me to make a car for her, so we drew one and cut it out. She put it by her shoulder and got upset, saying it was too small and she couldn't fit in it. I told her that I can't make a car from paper that she can drive, unfortunately. She whined a lot, was very grumpy with us both. Had some strawberries (saw-sem-me) and watched a show, then went potty by herself mostly. Lately she's been driving me nuts and wanting me to help with pulling down her pants and staying in the bathroom with her. She used to go completely by herself so it's been very frustrating. We've tried telling her she needs to go by herself but she's had a couple accidents recently because she puts it off and argues with us as she does the potty dance, and then it's too late.

She got very upset when I wanted to cut her nails, normally she sits just fine in my lap. She took the nail clippers and said she would do it herself. I warned her they were sharp and could cut her, and then I shouted "Okay stop. STOP!" as she was about to clip her finger skin off. She immediately started to cry and Pam tried comforting her as I explained that was twice today that Makena did something potentially dangerous and didn't stop when I told her to. She ran into bedroom to pout, and even shut the door. I put the video monitor on to watch, all she did was sit on the bed and line up her dolls and get a pillow or something, then she came out asking to show Pam something. They went in the room and lay on the bed for a bit, then Makena asked me for milk.


Then she and Pam started to make dinner and I sneaked into the bathroom to take a bath. Within about 2 minutes the door opened and Makena wanted to read me. She said the story was about a tree and a man and a bird. After I took this photo she dropped the book and the jacket was about to tear and I called for Pam to come get her. She was not happy to be made to leave, but I got my nice 20 minute bath!


After dinner Makena got really wild and crazy. Overtired, we forgot about the whole time change and she was up an hour later than normal. Teeth brushing battle, pj battle, stories and then goodnight. She fell asleep quickly. It's been over 3 hours and she hasn't woken yet. I am going to knock on wood, but I do think she's sleeping better lately. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment