Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Zoo!

We were supposed to take my mom to the Oakland Zoo for her birthday (which was in February, lol) but our trip kept getting canceled to due weather and such. With only one day a week to plan outings, it's hard to schedule stuff sometimes! But we finally went and had such a great time!

And so it begins, all the photos of my mom, Pam, and Makena. I really need to be better about making sure I'M in some photos, too!!

We got there as the gates opened and headed to the elephant feeding. There were no elephants at all in the enclosure though, but we saw the keepers setting out lots of food for them so we waited. Luckily the zebras were near by so Makena had fun spotting them! (Or, should I say...stripe-ing! Hahaha!)
Finally the elephants came marching in, and this one headed straight to every cabbage that was strategically placed to have him circle the whole perimeter so we could get a close look!

It was really fascinating, and the highlight of the day!

We saw giraffes, and Makena had her stuffed giraffe that Pam insisted we buy for her while I was pregnant.

Walking walking walking! We got a work out at the hilly zoo!

Hopping across the lily pads!

Makena touched a snake!
Play time!
Oh look, a silly photo of me pretending to be a turtle!

The lemurs were of course a huge hit, as Makena called out, "A boo!" for her Zaboomafoo.

At the gift shop, holding an elephant puppet while trying on an elephant hat, lol.

Makena sure got spoiled! GrandMo bought her a stuffed monkey, an elephant shirt, and a booklet to keep all her squished pennies in!

Putting her first penny into the book!

We headed home and Makena fell asleep during the drive, so Pam stayed in the car with her when we got home. They came in shortly after, and Pam told me she was still tired and to try nursing her in bed, so I did and Makena fell back to sleep. We were glad she ended up taking such a long nap, because Pam and I were going to San Francisco to see a show and my mom was watching her for the night. Makena woke up, we ate dinner then headed out. As the show was ending, I got a a text from my mom that Makena was asleep. We assumed she'd just stay up until we got home, but we arrived and found her like this-


My mom took her for a night time walk and after about an hour she finally fell asleep. Then she carried her upstairs in the stroller and put her in the bedroom. lol! Even more miraculously, when we transferred her to the bed she stayed asleep!

And that's that!

No comments:

Post a Comment