Friday, August 12, 2011

Clingy phase?!

Lately, like within the last week, Makena has started to be really clingy. At first she was just very whiney and we assumed she as teething. Getting her 2 year old molars ahead of schedule would suit her perfectly. But the last couple days she's just seemed SO needy and wants my full attention. Which she admittedly deserves, but it's easier said than done, lol.

I sometimes take advantage of the fact that she plays so well on her own. I can sometimes be on the computer (okay, Facebook.) for up to an hour while she's busy playing. I'm sure that sounds awful, but she's always been really great at entertaining herself. We basically spend our time at home in the living room, and that's where the computer is. So we are pretty much always within 20 feet of each other.

Anyways. I say that because lately she needs to be in my lap or touching me. At all times. She wants to do puzzles, color, read, play, eat...in my lap. This has been very frustrating at times. It's hard to go a full day without a little break. When I try to walk away she asks for milk and cries. I feel like it's strange behavior for a child who spends pretty much 24/7 by my side. And she's so shy all of a sudden! She wants to sit on my lap and hide in my shoulder until she warms up. She never used to do that. Yesterday we were sitting and doing a puzzle and Donte jumped up into the window sill in the kitchen. He knocked something over, and Makena got totally spooked, she practically jumped into my lap and was crying and stayed whimpering for about an hour. She kept glancing at the kitchen and then would get scared again. It was the first time I've ever seen her be really terrified, and it was breaking my heart! At the same time it was so sweet how much she clung to me, I felt like a real mom. lol.

We went to a new playgroup today and she was super shy and wanted to sit with me for the first 20 minutes or so. Eventually she couldn't resist the new toys and sand table, but she kept wanting me to come over to where she was playing and asking me to play with her. Her recent "Ah MA ah MA!" that she yells gets old real fast. Basically it means, "COME OVER HERE AND DO THIS WITH ME RIGHT NOW!" And when I try to redirect her or say I'll join her in a minute she immediately asks for milk and cries. I don't know what's going on, but I miss my happy outgoing little one!

So, I'm hoping it's just a phase and she'll snap out of it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment