Friday, April 9, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things...

I've been keeping a note on my cell phone with my favorite things about Makena since she was just a week old. I keep adding to the list when I'm spending hours rocking her to sleep. I tried to import the note to the computer, but I can't figure out how to so I'm just going to type it up here before it gets even longer!

So far, my favorite things...

The few extra long hairs on the top of her head.
The content sounds she makes while nursing.
The shape of her lips and how the bottom lip juts to the side when she sleeps.
Her sweet milky breath.
How she works so hard to poop and it's mostly just liquid!
The tiny imperfection on her left ear.
That her eyelashes have started to grow.
Her huge gummy open mouthed smile.
When she grabs onto me and softly kneads my boob while eating.
How she turns and smiles at me when she wakes up and sees that I'm right there next to her.
Her little dimple on just the left cheek.
How her toes curl when you touch her feet.
The sound of her breathing.
The rise and fall of her chest as it slows and she enters deep sleep.
How she frantically tries to get the pacifier into her mouth.
The squeals of delight!
When she tries to get your attention if you look away after talking to her and she kicks her feet and flails around and tries to make eye contact so badly, then you look at her and she smiles.
How she falls asleep while nursing but the second I try to pull her off she starts vigorously sucking again.
The little bits of lint that get stuck between her tiny toes.
The slurping sound she makes when sucking on her fingers.
The many different expressions she makes.
Our morning nap we take together.
She is always wiggling around, just like when she was in my belly.
When she takes a bath and her skin feels the way it did when I first held her- warm, slippery, and so soft.
That she brings her hands up to her face when she does her huge happy smile.
That she smiles at strangers when they talk to her.
She loves getting her diaper changed and will stop crying as soon as you expose her bottom to the nice cool air!

I meant to update about her 2 month milestones, like the fact that she can hold her head up so well during tummy time and she has such great neck control. Hopefully I'll remember to do an update about all the new things she can do when she turns 3 months old! We're having a little 1/4 of a year birthday party for her next weekend, a Makena Meet & Greet for anyone who hasn't yet met her.

Yesterday was our 2 year wedding anniversary. After picking up Pam at work (and Makena cried the whole car ride home) we came home, she settled down, I fed her, and we took a walk to our favorite Italian restaurant. (She wasn't tired, she slept from 3-5 but woke up when I had to put her in the car seat to drive us home. It is SO AWFUL to hear your baby screaming while you have to just keep driving.) So we decided to risk leaving the house during her fussy time. It's only a few blocks away, and we didn't want to put her in the car seat just to have her cry again. So Pam wore her in the Baby Bjorn and I pushed the stroller just in case we wanted to use it. And it holds the diaper bag, our hoodies, Pam's purse, and an extra blanket as an added bonus. :) We got to the restaurant and by the time our food came Makena was starting to get bored and fussy. I was quickly scarfing down my food (dairy free, but very tasty pasta with olives, broccoli, artichoke, and a garlic lemon oregano sauce) And Pam stopped eating to stand up and bounce around with Makena. Then a huge party of college girls were seated next to us, and they were all the entertainment Makena needed! We finished our meal (spent every second worried she'd flip out though...) and then walked back home. It was lovely. Makena especially loves to look up at trees when you stand under them.

I also have an ongoing list of "Things I Never Knew Until Having A Baby" but that will have to wait because right now I'm going to bed! Pam was rocking Makena to sleep and I just went to check on them but found them both sleeping in bed. :)

P.S. Donte has a new favorite place to hang out...
We have an extra changing table pad and he's decided it's his new spot to sleep. He used to be afraid of her room because we had balloons from the baby shower in there and he's terrified of balloons, but I guess he figured out that they are gone now!

No comments:

Post a Comment