Thursday, October 24, 2013

36 Weeks and Preschool Update



We had our home visit for the birth team today. My midwife, her assistant, my doula, my mom, and of course Pam, Makena and I. It was great, we talked about all the supplies and went over what we still need to gather, and discussed where to set up the birth pool. Very exciting!! It's getting more real for sure now. I'm so looking forward to this baby's birth. I can't believe we'll have two kids for Christmas!

And now some photos-

Makena made a wish that she didn't have to go to bed. Of course. Lol. 


We've been having fun with her buddies Ian and Colin.


And we went to the Oakland Zoo for the second year in a row to participate in the JDRF Walk to Find a Cure for Type 1 Diabetes.


While picking up Pam at her preschool job one day Makena wanted to go in and play a bit. She wrote her name all by herself n the chalk board.


She loves to help measure my belly and listen to baby's heartbeat with the fetoscope.


The other day Pam dropped off Makena and I at preschool and went to the bank. She called me a few minutes later and said, "Bad news, I was in a crash." She was going to turn right and then suddenly the recycling truck she had pulled up next to started to turn right... right into our car. So it was more of a scraping pushing than an actual crash. Regardless, the initial report is approximately $4,500 in damage. We're still waiting on the police report to see who is at fault, and find out what insurance will cover. We have a $1,000 deductible which we can't pay, so we're hoping it's determined that the recycling truck was at fault. Sucks to be dealing with this now, but thankfully she was fine and the damage seems to be just cosmetic and not structural. We haven't even had this car a year, 11 months ago I was rear-ended and our car was totaled and we bought this one. It's so frustrating to have bad stuff happen, especially when it involves money. We could really use a good luck streak!!


Bed time has had some rough struggles lately. I was hoping that Pam could be in charge of getting Makena to bed before the baby arrived, but that just isn't happening.


Makena's preschool Fall Carnival was a big hit, and we won the contest for the most sold raffle booklets! We sold 25, and got a $100 giftcard to a steakhouse! My mom (who bought a few booklets) won a $50 giftcard to a different steakhouse. Pretty funny for a bunch of vegetarians. ;) The menus look great though, there are plenty of choices. Pam and I will have a nice final date night before the baby is born.


A few of our friends also won prizes from the raffle tickets they bought from us, and those who aren't local told us to keep the prizes, so we got an interior car detailing gift certificate and 2 passes to Happy Hollow and another restaurant giftcard. Little stuff like that really makes our day, because it allows us to have fun times that we otherwise can't afford. My mom donated a dozen eggs from her chickens to the silent auction, and they were valued at about $8 and sold for $25 I think!

And speaking of preschool, the other night during her bath Makena suddenly burst into tears and said she wishes she was like her friend Natalia at school. I assumed she meant because Natalia can cross the monkey bars and ride a two-wheeler bike, but she was sobbing and said "Natalia's mommy never stays at school with her and she never even cries or is sad!" (Her mom has been on maternity leave since she recently had a baby and her work parent shifts have been covered by the rest of us. We've never talked about that with Makena and I'm surprised she picked up on it.) Then she asked if I had to leave tomorrow or if it was my work day. I told her I would stay with her in the beginning then leave for a little while. She was crying and saying she wanted to stay home and not go to school. :( It was breaking my heart. Then yesterday morning she work up and started to cry and said her belly hurts and she thinks she has a fever and can't go to school. But we got ready to go and on the drive she said "I'm so excited! I can't wait for the baby to be born so I can have some milk! It's been so hard for me to fall asleep without milk."

Oh, my heart.

I had emailed her teacher to let her know that we might need some extra help when I leave, but Makena was fine, said goodbye and ran off to play. I went to Blossom Birth to volunteer some time and when I returned to preschool Makena gave me a huge tight hug and we sat down for the final story time/songs.

I love this outfit she picked out.


Then I was sitting and chatting with some other parents and I heard her screaming and saw her running towards me. She had been running along a paved path and fell, scraping up her cheek and knees and hands. Poor girl. We went over to her friend Natalia's house to play and they had a great time. We hope this means they'll play more together at school now!


No comments:

Post a Comment