Sunday, May 9, 2010

Our 1st Mother's Day!

First of all, yesterday we went to Makena's first soccer game! Her cousin Nicolas was playing, and she sat on the sidelines with Sofia and watched.


Today is Mother's Day. It's surreal to me that today I got to celebrate motherhood. Most holidays stay the same year to year, but Mother's Day takes on a whole new meaning when you are a mom yourself!

We started the day by exchanging cards, and somehow Makena got Pam and I the exact same one. lol. Great minds think alike!! I was worried that might happen, but I couldn't find ANY cards that said Mama! Pam also got me (I mean, Makena got me...) a really cute children's book that she wanted me to read, and as I read it a giftcard to Old Navy fell out. Apparently she thinks it's time for me to buy some jeans that fit. haha.

Then we went to brunch, and Makena was so good. She started to get fussy and fell asleep on Pam's lap and slept for a whole hour that way. I was shocked she fell asleep, usually she needs to be swaddled, laying on her side, and rocked in your arms. (Or she'll fall asleep while breastfeeding, but that's a topic for a whole other post!) For a pretty easy going baby she is quite high maintenance in the sleep department. She won't even sleep in the car. She hates being buckled in and restricted, and tries to sit up and holds her head out and forward. Usually I can get her to sleep in the car if I put my hand through the back of the car seat and rest my hand on her face while holding her pacifier in her mouth. Sounds absolutely crazy. And it is. But she LOVES to have your hand on her face to fall asleep! And she likes to grab onto your hand (or arm) See-
Then we went to Color Me Mine, a pottery painting place. They were offering free sessions for all moms, so all we had to pay for was the plate we picked out, which was $11. The advertisements didn't mention you had to make a reservation, so we had to kill time at the mall across the street and somehow ended up in Carter's buying baby clothes... lol. When it was time to go back we took turns entertaining Makena and painting our plate, which is going to be so adorable once they glaze and fire it!!

See, we used her little footprints to make a butterfly! (The pencil marks will disappear.)


Then we went to PF Changs where my Dad took us all out to eat dinner. I gave my Mom a peace scented candle (I love that they gave peace a scent! lol) and Makena gave her Grandmo a garden stone with her feet imprints!

It's still wet in that photo, I didn't take a photo of it when it dried, but I'm sure I'll take one when my Mom puts it in the ground!

And here we are!
Makena had a really long day out and about, and she did so well! Couldn't get any smiles out of her by the end of the day, so here's a cute smiley photo from a few days ago. =)

I have SO many photos and video clips of her. She is such a joy and we laugh all throughout the day. We feel so lucky (and we're still so in awe!) that we have this amazing baby who we get to raise and love for the rest of our lives. I can't remember my life having any purpose before her, and I can't imagine ever living my life without her!

1 comment:

  1. A very nice first Mother's day for you both. The plate is beautiful. I love the stone of Makena's feet and my peace candle. I look forward to many more Mother's day celebrations.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete