Wednesday, March 17, 2010

First trip!

On March 13th we took Makena for her first overnight trip! We drove the 2 hours to Fresno and stayed with Kimberly, Susan, and their 3 week old baby girl Kansas. Another friend, Brennon (who is only 9 days younger than Makena but was early and weighed just 5 something pounds at birth!), is in this photo-Makena did great on the drive, she mostly slept. We got to their house and had a nice visit, and then she started to cry round 7pm. And we couldn't calm her down. It was the first time she's ever cried and we couldn't soothe her. Then she started to really scream. And it turned to blood curdling wails that had both Pam and I in tears. We felt SO helpless, it was just awful. She even had real tears for the first time. Her face was so red and she was practically shaking from crying so hard. It was terrifying, to not know what was wrong and to see her so upset. It was definitely the worst moment in her little life so far. :( We asked Kim to bring us a thermometer because she felt warm to us, and we weren't sure if it was a fever or just from crying so much. So Kim opened up a brand new thermometer and it wouldn't work!!

I tried to keep reminding myself that we've just been spoiled with such a good easy baby. That sometimes babies cry and we are lucky she isn't like that every day. She smiles through diaper and clothes changes, she loves the bathtub, and sleeps when riding in the car. She sleeps through the night or wakes up only once. Usually she is very easy to soothe. Pick her up or give the pacifier. We truly are lucky!!

Eventually she calmed down and fell asleep in Pam's arms. Then Pam stood there rocking and bouncing her and patting her bottom for a very long time because we were so afraid she'd start screaming again. We transferred her to the bed and all fell asleep. And woke up in the morning after a great 7 hour sleep. Amazing.

We went out to brunch, home for a nap, and then out to the park with Brennon's mommies, and it was such a great day.Makena was all smiles! She's such a joy!

She was fine Sunday evening, but definitely fussier than normal. We've decided she's overstimulated in the evening, and we just need to start an earlier bedtime routine. Also, no visitors or hoopla after 7pm. She gets cranky and tired and fights her sleep.

On the way home we stopped at Casa de Fruta. We walked around there when I was still pregnant, and I remember looking at all the photo ops and thinking about bringing our baby someday!
When we got home we had some visitors and Shari Elmer gave Makena one of her famous hand knit sweaters. It's adorable, pink and white and yellow with little Beatrix Potter buttons.

Makena has been doing great with tummy time, she grunts and babbles the whole time until she's finally had enough "exercise," but it's working because she can lift her head and turn it to look around!

And she recently found her hands! I've caught her a few times sucking on her fingers and it's just adorable! I love the slurping sound she makes.

My mom came over with a bunch of green goodies for a little St. Patrick's Day photo shoot! Makena has a wee bit o' Irish in her!
Grandma (or Grandmo) made that awesomely adorable headband from a garter belt!!

Mommy's lucky charm!
Today we went for a walk to buy some bagels, and it was HOT outside! We both worked up a sweat, but Makena was a champ. And she didn't cry the whole time! When I took her out of the stroller she was soaked and even had a very full poopy diaper. Poor little baby butt!

In other news...
I left Makena at home with Pam for 5 hours while I went to SF to do a radio station focus group. It went well, Pam says she mostly slept and then she fed her a bottle of milk I had pumped. I'm trying to pump every morning, but I find it so frustrating because Makena pretty much empties my boobs and I hate when I only get 1 or 2 ounces out!! But I'm paranoid about an emergency situation where I can't get to Makena to feed her, so I want a "just in case" freezer supply. Also, it's nice for her Mama to get to feed her now and then. I feel lucky that Makena goes so easily from breast to bottle to pacifier. She's so good. :)

On March 3rd I was talking to Makena and saying "Hi sweetie!" and she clear as day said "I!" which I've decided means Hi. She can already talk! And then this weekend in Fresno I was about to feed her and in the frenzy of getting my nipple in her mouth she loudly yelled out "MAM!" and Kimberly looked over and said "She just said mom!!" lol! She really did! Everyone in the room heard it! Haha!



I've been trying to get her used to napping in the room by herself. So far it's just in her little sleep positioner on our bed. Soon I hope to transition her to the co-sleeper. And then, just maybe, Pam and I will have our bed back and we can get Makena to sleep in the co-sleeper all night long!! It's a slow process, because our routine now works for us so well. But we would like to get her in there eventually!

This morning after she fell asleep in my arms I put her on the bed and went into the livingroom to watch her on the video monitor. She did okay for about 30 minutes, but kept waking up and I'd go in there and fix her pacifier and after another 30 minutes of that I finally just picked her up and she slept while I held her. Normally she'd take a good solid 3 hour morning nap, and either I'd lay next to her and nap also, or she'd lay on the couch next to me. I just need to get us both used to it. Right now she's sleeping in her swing. So cute!

Well, Pam just got home, so I'm going to get some laundry done.

1 comment:

  1. She is so adorable. I remember the first time you cried hard with real tears. I was a mess. I just never wanted you to cry, period. Like you, I was blessed with a partner who was right there to take over. Dad was great with his babies. Makena is a very good baby. She will have her days, don't we all? You Mothers are doing a fantastic job. Nothing beats being with your baby 24/7 Katy. A hard, time consuming job, for the rest of your life job. And worth every minute of it. I am so very proud of the way you Mother your beautiful daughter, my grandbaby!
    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete