Friday, August 23, 2013

About to start PRESCHOOL!

I am so thrilled that we found such an amazing preschool.  It's a co-op and has a long history of being a really special place for families. There's a pretty huge time commitment on the parents behalf, Makena will attend 3 mornings a week and I go with her one day a week to be a work parent. (Parents are also welcome to attend any other days their children are there, which I appreciate!) There are also twice monthly night meeting for the parents to attend, in addition to holding a board job and helping out on required maintenance days. And we'll participate in the Fall and Spring fundraiser events.

I'm excited to become a part of this community and I know Makena will do awesomely and get so much out of it! Everyone is so friendly and talks about how it will become such a close-knit group of families. I love how everyone is ready to step up and help with anything. We met her teacher and Makena cried when we went home, she can't wait to start and has been counting down the days. She woke up this morning and said "I need to go take down a ring, I have 5 days left until preschool!!"

Last night was the parent orientation and Pam and I spent 3 hours being overwhelmed with details. We picked a board job, we're on the Spring Auction committee which sounds really fun. I wanted to sign up for something that takes place after fall/winter so that hopefully we'll be at least slightly adjusted to life with 2 kids by then. ;) We also voted to approve the budget and got our key to the school and helped staple name tags on the cubbies. When I saw Makena's cubby I got teary eyed. It just seems like such a huge milestone!

I'm curious to find out when/how dropping off Makena will go. Pam and I are both going with her the first day, and then the next day is my work day, but the following week we'll see if she feels ready to be there without me. I don't know what I'll do with myself if she doesn't need me. I know most parents look forward to that, but I seriously don't know what I'll do. I have a feeling I'll be sitting in the car reading and counting down until it's time to get her! Obviously I want Makena to feel comfortable and safe, and I want to be able to trust that she's okay without me. Especially because I want this transition to be smoothed over before the baby is born. But for only 3 hours it seems like a waste of time/gas to drive all the way home and then go back. It's not far, just 6 miles, but it's the next city over and with traffic can be a longer drive. We'll see what I end up doing! If I had the money I'd totally sign up for a nearby prenatal yoga class or something during that time.

As we near the end of this chapter of Makena and I being together 24/7, I just feel so overwhelmingly grateful that we have the relationship that we do. My dreams came true when she entered my life, and they continued to come true every day we spent together that I didn't have to send her off to daycare. I am so glad I've been able to raise her the way I wanted to!

No comments:

Post a Comment