Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Communication Failure(s)

This morning I was getting ready to take a shower and Pam was doing the dishes. Makena was playing in the living room, and she came into the bathroom with her Curious George coloring book. She said, “ah dah” and moved her body in a funny little way. I told her, “Yes, that’s your coloring book, do you want to draw?” She said no and then repeated “ah dah”-ing.

“Yes,” I said, “that’s George, the monkey…” But nope, she was trying to tell me something else. She put the book on the floor and pointed at what George was holding. “Ah dah!” I then realized it was a hot dog… “OH!! HOT DOG!” She clapped and started doing the hot dog dance, which is at the end of every Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episode. I can’t believe she put those two together. She doesn’t even eat hot dogs! And the hot dog dance has nothing to do with hot dogs. They just sing, “Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog!” Lol. She loves that dance. And I love that she made that connection to a picture of a monkey holding a hot dog!

Pam left for work and Makena helped me crack the eggs and scramble them for breakfast. She spent the whole morning diaper free, and when she peed on the floor she came and told me about the “Meh! Oh no meh!” (Mess, lol.)




image

Later we went downstairs to play in the little inflated pool. I brought a bag with bath toys, and stuck a roll of Oreos in there for me. After I gave Makena the toys to put in the pool she wanted the bag. I was on to her. She must’ve seen the cookies. I kept distracting her, and she kept asking for the bag. “Ah, ah, ah!” She wasn’t letting it go, and I knew I’d never be able to eat the Oreos now, so I gave in and let her look in the bag.

Imagine my surprise when she reached in and pulled out her hat exclaiming, “AH!” My heart swelled. I had forgotten to put her hat on her and she was trying SO hard to remind me! Of course once her hat was on her head she asked for a cookie.

And of course I let her have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment