Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pride Parade, and Makena went to Stanford University!

On June 26th we drove to San Francisco to watch the Gay Pride Parade. As we looked for a place to stand, we decided the street in front of the Orpheum Theater would be appropriate, being as that's the same spot Pam and I met 10 years ago! (almost exactly to the day, what a coincidence!!)
Makena wore her rainbow babylegs and rainbow tutu, and a shirt I made for her. She was quite the attraction, people kept taking pictures of her and one couple even asked to take a picture of our family. lol?
We didn't stay too long, the crowd was rambunctious and there were people smoking everywhere, so we went to the family garden park for some kid-friendly activities! (But not before Pam grabbed a rainbow headband that some promoters were tossing to the crowds) Then Makena looked like she was stuck in an 80's workout video, and it was hilarious. It's worth noting that nobody asked us for any photos once the tutu came off and the headband went on. Super funny!
Didn't want to look at the camera at all, too distracted by all the festivities around her! She played in the playground with all the other gaybies, and then got an "I love my moms" temporary tattoo. I hate when things are spelled wrong on purpose. "Luv" is not cute. "Love" only has one more letter, it didn't have to be shortened! We got some snacks, I got a strawberry and basil organic popsicle, and it was delicious and refreshing on such a hot day in the city! We walked back to the car and I kept giving Makena licks and then we were a block away from the car and I realized Makena had fallen asleep! In her stroller! Without us trying to get her to nap, and mere seconds after I had just given her a lick of my popsicle! It was crazy. She never does that!

And then we made a mistake. Instead of just walking around for an hour, enjoying the city sights, we decided to get her in the car. And she woke up crying for milk. But someone was waiting for our spot and we wanted to just hit the road and hoped she'd fall asleep once the car started moving. Nope, she was awake the whole way home. Only napped for about 4 minutes that day. :(

On Tuesday we went to Stanford University for a research study Makena was selected to participate in. It's about children and empathy, that's all I know. I was instructed to sit and read and try to ignore her while the research student interacted with her. She was trying to be clingy at first, isn't used to not being the center of my attention!! Pam was waiting with the other researchers behind the double mirror/window. After a while Makena started to play with the guy, and he did a little puppet show where the pig was stealing the ball from the lion, and then the puppy was hitting the pig. It was a pretty aggressive move, he was making his hand punch the other hand. Then he offered her each of the puppets and watched for which one she picked. I guess she picked in the typical order, choosing the mean puppy last. Then they played some more and he told me to leave the room when I heard the knock at the door.


She did great, whimpered for a second after I shut the door, but she stayed on the floor playing. It was actually slightly disturbing for me. lol. She did look up at the door a few times, and then I got to go back in after like 5 minutes. She started to ask for milk, and wanted me to pick her up, so they decided to stop the study. But she got a stuffed puppy and I got a $20 gift card for Trader Joe's! The whole thing was really short, about 15 minutes.

I hope they call again, he said it's a study that's been going on for over a year so far and they would be interested in doing some follow ups.

Anyway, Pam's mom is coming this weekend to visit for a week, and we need to get busy cleaning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment